The mission of Centerburg School is to work in partnership with the family and community to provide positive learning experiences for all children in order to encourage high scholastic achievement and good citizenship.
The Centerburg Local School District consists of two buildings: Our elementary enrolls students in grades K-5; the middle/high school accommodates students in grades 6-12. Our approximate enrollment is 1200 students in the district.
Centerburg High School (CHS) is accredited by the State of Ohio.
More than seventy educators make up the instructional and administrative staff, with a 20 to 1 student teacher ratio. On average, our instructors have over thirteen year of experience in the classroom. Over half hold Master’s degrees, and all continue their education through many different venues.
The high school offers a well-rounded college preparatory course of study.
CHS offers students who qualify, the opportunity for dual enrollment through College Credit Plus courses. Ohio’s College Credit Plus can help students earn college and high school credits at the same time by taking college courses from local affiliated Colleges and Universities. This program promotes rigorous academic pursuits and provides a wide variety of options to college-ready student. CHS works with several colleges and Universities including: Central Ohio Technical College, Marion Technical College, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, North Central State College and Ohio State University. The courses Centerburg offers in-house include: Chemistry I, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus I, Introduction to Statistics, Composition I, Composition II, Oral Communications, General Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Sociology.
The Class of 2017 also had 16 students attend college full-time during the school year.
After graduation, the Class of 2017 had 83% of CHS students go on to pursue an advanced education.
In addition to our outstanding college preparatory and general courses of study, CHS is affiliated with the Knox County Career Center, which offers many vocational and technology programs to juniors and seniors to train for immediate careers. From the class of 2017, CHS had 54 students attend programs at the Career Center.
Centerburg students consistently perform above average on their ACT scores.
Year Composite Math Reading English Science
2017 23.0 22.8 23.7 22.9 22.3
2016 22.8 22.2 24.2 22.4 21.9
2015 23.6 23.3 24.3 23.7 23.0
2014 22.1 22.4 22.0 22.0 21.5
2013 23.7 23.0 23.8 24.8 22.8
Centerburg students take great pride in academic, athletics, and extracurricular accomplishments. There is strong support through the PTO (parent teacher organization), Athletic Boosters, Music Boosters, surrounding community businesses, School Board members, and many family volunteers, which enhance the lives of our students.
The school has an award winning journalism program. Annually, they travel to the Ohio Scholastic Media Convention held at Kent State and have won the ALL-Ohio Award five times. This is the highest rank given in the state and represents excellence in coverage, writing, editing, photography, graphics, design, and editorial leadership.
Centerburg FFA enrolls 117 students in grades 9-12. They are looking forward to the addition of a greenhouse and the expansion of their current shop to help meet the needs of their members within the next year. Over the years, they have had many accomplishments.
- They had a class of 2017 student receive the first American Degree Recipient
- They have made it to the State Rural Soil Judging contest each of the last 2 years.
- In the past two years, Centerburg FFA students have raised over $2000 for local charities via our Pig Raffle, a Fundraiser at the Old Time Farming Festival.
- For the last 4 years, Centerburg FFA has organized a campaign before Thanksgiving called Brown Bag For the Hungry and they have gathered over 8,000 food and clothing items.
- Throughout the year, they compete in 7 different competitions and look to expand that each year
High School Choir
- Three concerts throughout the school year, occasionally hosting an alumni concert.
- Participates yearly in OMEA District X Honor Choir – Top 8 students are chosen through auditions – Hold a performance with the Top members from each school in the music district
- Participate in OMEA Solo & Ensemble, most notably bringing home Excellent & Superior ratings
- Participates in OMEA large group contests, consistently receiving Excellent ratings.
- Centerburg has been the overflow host school for the OMEA contests
- Every four years the music department travels to Walt Disney World, where they perform concerts and participates in clinics offered at Disney. Most recently, they were the first ensemble group to perform a song from Disney’s Moana at Disney. They were also the closing performance for the Waterfront Stage while they were there.
- Every two years, the music department takes shorter trips to network and build bonds with other music departments.
- In 2015, they traveled to New Jersey to perform at Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. While in New Jersey the Choir participated in an exchange concert with Dunnellen High School.
- Every two years, the music and theater programs collaborate to produce a school musical
- For the last three years, students from Centerburg have participated in the All Ohio State Fair Youth Choir.
- New this year (2017-18), students will participate in the Kent State All Star Choir and the Otterbein Honor Choir.
- Honor credit offered to qualifying juniors and seniors, who exceed all the basic requirements in choir
- Forthcoming is an auditioned ensemble to serve as local community ambassadors that will perform at different venues around Knox County.
- Tri-M Music Honor Society is available to those students who apply and meet the requirements.
Middle School Choir
- Middle School choir works during the school year to prepare for concerts
- Middle School choir participates in Large group adjudication every other year
- Middle School choir performed in put on a musical with great success
Band is available to students beginning in the 5th grade through 12th grade.
Marching Band and Color Guard
- Performs at the High School football games.
- Recently performed on NBC4 during the morning high school tailgate
- Participates in several local parades throughout the year.
- Performs in a couple Band festivals a year
- Participates in OMEA Marching Band Competition
- Travel and perform at Walt Disney World in Florida every 4 years.
- Hosts & performs at OMEA High School Large Group
- Perform at Solo & Ensemble Adjudication
- Holds two concerts throughout the year
Opportunities are available to join HS & MS OMEA District 10 Honor Band, Pep Band, and Jazz band
The Centerburg FIRST Robotics Team (The Red Plague) has called Centerburg its home since 2008. The robotics shop is housed in the Administration building of the Centerburg School. The team is comprised of students in grades 9-12 from Centerburg, Mt. Vernon, Fredericktown, and Home School students. They have competed in numerous competitions throughout the last 10 seasons and have accumulated numerous awards and won several regional competitions. They have also been fortunate enough to go on to compete in the national competitions held in Atlanta, GA and St. Louis, MO.